Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn, the 6th Baronet of Wynnstay Ruabon, is the famous founder of the present pack of Wynnstay foxhounds.

After his father’s death in 1842, Sir Watkin commissioned Mr Pryce of Bryn y Pys to collect a pack of hounds. Then in 1843 he decided to leave his Army commission in the Life Guards, shave off his moustache, and become one of the leading Masters of Foxhounds of his time.

The following year, he purchased a large portion of Sir John Chaworth Muster’s famous pack from the South Notts country – and it was these hounds that were probably the foundation of the future pack.

Sir Watkin sold his racing stud and put together the finest stable of hunters money could buy. New kennels were built at Wynnstay and the whole establishment was run in great style.

Today this well known pack of Old English foxhounds covers wonderful grassland in Cheshire, Shropshire and Wales.